By using this website, you accept our use of cookies. Want to know more?
call lawstore on 0208 313 7084
nuisance proceedings

Nuisance Proceedings

When it comes to nuisance neighbours, there are two types; public and private. Public nuisance is when a person’s actions affect several people whilst private nuisance refers to someone actions effecting one particular person.

A nuisance neighbour can be due to:
  • Noise
  • Leaks
  • Smells
  • Damage to your property
  • Interference with your land

As a claimant, you can take civil proceedings for either; damages to compensate for loss or/and an injunction to stop the nuisance and prevent it reoccurring. When claiming, there are also two types of claims which can be made…
  • Actual physical damage, i.e. a leak which has caused contamination
  • Interference with the enjoyment of your land, i.e. noise caused by pets

It is important to be aware that there is a time limit when claiming for nuisance. The limitation period is six years from when the event took place. However if the nuisance has been going on for a long period of time, you will be able to recover any relevant loss over the 6 years.

Make an Enquiry Book an Appointment