By using this website, you accept our use of cookies. Want to know more?
call lawstore on 0208 313 7084
accident in public place

Accidents in Public Places

All Councils, shop owners and other owners of property to which the public have access have a legal duty to ensure all reasonable steps are taken to avoid accidents and injury to members of the public, and are required by law to have in place Public Liability Insurance.

If you or a member of your family are suffering from a Personal Injury caused by an accident in a public place, because the land or premises were dangerous, you may have a public liability claim. Personal injuries can happen as a result of various incidences, common accidents reported are tripping on uneven or broken paving, or on an object sticking out from the ground, falling or stepping into an uncovered pot hole, slipping on a wet floor or produce in a shop or cafe, pub or nightclub and faulty gym equipment.

Definitions of Public Places

The term public places could include streets, sports stadiums, railway lines or stations, highways, shops, shopping centres, parks, play grounds, schools, other education establishments, gyms, pubs, nightclubs, hotels, a neighbour’s property – this is a non exhaustive list and you should report any accident as soon as possible.

After an Accident in a Public Place Occurs

It will help your claim if you can document and provide evidence of how your injury occurred, for example: if you slipped or tripped over an object or cracked paving, were hit by something that was not secured properly i.e. falling masonry and scaffolding, or fell because of stepping into a pot hole, you should try and record the measurement of the depth of the trip or hole, taking a photograph detailing the measurement. If you do not have a tape measure, use something identifiable such as a 50 pence piece.

You will also need to report the accident to the land owner at the earliest opportunity, for instance if your accident happened in a public building, regardless of how minor your think your injury is, it must be recorded within an on-site accident book, a quick phone call will be sufficient if this was not done at the time.

How We Can Help You

If you are entitled to make a claim, your solicitor will assist you in thoroughly documenting the circumstances which surrounded your accident in a public place, creating a detailed account about the impact of your accident or injury on your physical and mental well-being.

Our expert solicitors deal with thousands of Accidents in Public Place Claims and can provide you with excellent advice and legal representation for your injury – ensuring you get all the support and help you need to get compensation for your injuries, lost earnings, healthcare costs or practical help and aids needed in your home if you become disabled.

Make an Enquiry Book an Appointment